Year 3 of the annual photographic pilgrimage that is the USA Cycling Pro Championship. (One of the many benefits of living in Greenville, SC.) Earlier today was the Time Trial (won by David Zabriskie – again) on a new course that featured two of Greenville’s unique features: #1: The new ICAR campus (which was allegedly described to the field of pro athletes as “flat” – Ha!) and #2: The crushing humidity that comes after four days of thunderstorms.
Some of my favorite little happenings during the race today:
2. Shooting with Roby again.
3. Running into so many of my cycling and triathlon friends along the course.
4. The mysterious blood-like stains on my “borrowed” photographer’s vest that make me look like a crazed axe murderer.
5. Watching Dave Zabriskie win again.
6. Watching the champagne-spraying shenanigans.
7. The completely instinctive and collective backwards leap taken by the press photographers when the champagne bottles came uncorked.
8. Not getting pancaked by the ginormous pickup truck that almost backed over me while I was shooting Zabriskie go by. (Thanks to the quick reflexes of a course marshal.)
9. The sweet smell of chain lube in the morning.
10. Sunny, sunny, sunny skies.
Tomorrow, the Road Race.
Check out the slide show here.